We now offer the option of joining the Blacksmith Club at The Vanguard Centre.
Taught Sessions: Blacksmith Club members will receive discounts on all taught crafting classes within the centre. Blacksmith Club members will also get early booking for most crafting courses, giving you the chance to secure a space on our more popular courses before they fill up.
Open Sessions: Whenever the Centre's workshop is open and the Blacksmith Instructor is present, Blacksmith Club members will have the option of using the workshop in The Vanguard Centre for your own projects. The majority of the workshop's equipment will be available, and anything else can probably be made available upon request. Some tools will not be available for use by non-employees due to safety concerns; in these instances the Blacksmith Instructor will work with you to assist you in completing your project. There will be no fee for coming along to do some crafting during Open Sessions. Fuel for the forge will be provided free of charge, but materials will need to be bought; you can bring your own materials or purchase them from The Vanguard Centre, as you prefer.
Anvil Gatherings: Every month the Blacksmith Club members will be invited to join the Anvil Gathering, free of charge. This will be a one day event where everyone in the Blacksmith Club can come together and work on a project, discuss plans, and even build new tools like power hammers. The day finishes with a social gathering and tales of great forging feats.
Premium Membership: As a member of the Blacksmith Club, you will also receive all the benefits of Premium Membership. This means you can take part in archery and HEMA during Taught Sessions, and you can use the training equipment during Open Sessions. Please see the Premium Membership page for more details.
Beginners Blacksmithing Course: Members of the Blacksmith Club will also receive free attendance to complete the Beginners Blacksmithing Course, if you have not already done so. This is strongly recommended if you have not gone through the course, as it will give a good grounding in basic forging techniques. You will have 16 weeks from the date of starting your Blacksmithing Club membership to complete the 5 course sessions. Please see the Blacksmithing in Glasgow page for more details.
Price: To sign up for Blacksmith Club membership, we will take a Recurring Payment of £20 on a weekly basis. A 'Recurring Payment' is like a Direct Debit, but the payments come from your chosen card rather than directly from the bank account. The weekly fee of £20 is cheaper than paying to use the workshop for 2 hours during an Open workshop Session, and you won't need to remember about making any payments in person, we will arrange it all for you.
To become a Blacksmith Club member, you must also pay for your membership at The Vanguard Centre, if you have not already done so. The price of membership is £20 per year, running from the 1st of September until the 31st of August annually. If you join in January or later, this is reduced to £15 for membership until the 31st of August. If you have paid membership this year in another AHA-affiliated club, then your membership at The Vanguard Centre is reduced to just £5.
When you submit this form, your message will be emailed to the Academy of Historical Arts administrative staff, who will respond as soon as possible. You will also receive an email copy of the message for your own records.
Once you complete and submit this form, you will be given the opportunity to arrange the recurring payments for your Blacksmith Club membership with your credit or debit card through the safe and secure Worldpay service. Your Blacksmith Club membership will not become valid until we have received payment.
Blacksmith Club Membership Form
* required field.
Terms & Conditions, and Refunds Policy
Blacksmith Club Membership
Blacksmith Club members must still pay the annual membership fee at The Vanguard Centre.
Blacksmith Club members must be at least 18 years of age.
The Vanguard Centre management retains the right to cancel the membership and refuse workshop access to any individual who is acting in an unsafe manner in the workshop. Safety is our top priority and must be observed at all times.
We reserve the right to alter the prices or any of the terms and conditions at any time, although we will give due notice in writing.
The minimum length of contract for Blacksmith Club membership is 12 weeks. After the first 10 weeks, it can be cancelled at any time with 2 weeks' notice in writing via a reasonably permanent medium: email is perfectly acceptable, a Facebook message is not. If you ask us to cancel your Blacksmith Club membership earlier than this, we may not be able to oblige, and we reserve the right to continue to collect the payments until the initial 12 weeks have concluded.
Cancellations & Refunds
You may request to cancel your membership of The Vanguard Centre at any time. This request must be in writing, via some reasonably permanent medium: an email to the organisation would be acceptable, but a Facebook message is not suitable. We will cancel your membership within a week of receiving your request in writing.
When you cancel your membership, you will no longer be a Member, and you will instead be a guest whenever you attend one of our activities, sessions, or events. You will not receive the discounts for Members anymore, and will pay the same rates and attendance fees as a guest.
If you cancel your membership within two weeks (fourteen days) of paying for it, we will provide you a full refund, unless you have used your membership to receive a discounted attendance fee at a session or event (or to sign up for Premium Membership or for the Blacksmith Club), in which case we will be unable to provide a refund. In other words, we can only refund a membership that has been unused.
The Academy of Historical Arts may be referred to hereafter as "the Academy" or "the AHA".
The "term of subscription" is from the moment the subscription becomes valid until the end of August. So a subscription that becomes valid in September 2016 will expire on the 31st of August 2017; a subscription that becomes valid in May 2016 will also expire on the 31st of August 2017.
We will keep your personal information to ourselves and will not distribute it to any third party. The data will be treated confidentially in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
We shall use an accredited third-party service to collect the payment, so that the service is PCI compliant and the payment will be taken securely. We will not see your card or bank details unless you choose to show them to us. Your data will be kept safe, secure, and private.
All Members of The Vanguard Centre must agree to the following terms: in consideration of obtaining membership to The Vanguard Centre and practising/performing any skills learned through the experience with programmes, courses, classes, related events and activities run by the organisation, all applicants must agree to the following:
1) I acknowledge and fully recognise that each participant will be engaging in activities that involve risk of injury, including permanent disability and death, or severe social and economic losses which might result not only from their own actions, inactions or negligence but the actions, inactions or negligence of others, the rules of play, or the condition of the premises or of any equipment used. Further, that there may be other risks not known to us or not reasonably foreseeable at this time.
2) I assume all the foregoing risks and accept personal responsibility for the damages following such injury, permanent disability or death.
3) I release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, their respective administrators, directors, agents, instructors, and other members of the organisation, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, as well as Triquetra Services (Scotland) and all those associated with the above as regards to any and all incidents coming from participation in these activities.
4) I understand that the AHA, event producers, sponsors, organiser, and/or assigns may take my photograph. I agree that my photograph, including video photography, film photography, or other reproduction of my likeness, may be used without charge by the AHA, event producers, sponsors, organisers and/or assigns for any purpose as they deem appropriate, including, but not limited to, promotional materials, fundraising presentations or proposals, newspaper or magazine publication or posting on a website for promotional purposes.
5) I understand that the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and their representatives may ask for a copy of any media that I take or record during an event or meeting run by the organisation; I agree to provide the organisation with such media when requested. I also grant permission to the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and Triquetra Services (Scotland), to use this media freely. Similarly, I agree that the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and Triquetra Services (Scotland), may use for any purpose any media in which I appear.