Membership of The Vanguard Centre allows us to put more money towards improving the venue and the services that we offer. Membership payments will be invested straight back into the Centre to make it a better experience for everyone.
For example, we would like to make the venue even warmer during the colder months, we would like to install changing rooms, and we would like to make the social area even more comfortable and enjoyable. It would be great if we could add a library of HEMA, archery, and blacksmithing books (and really, any other books of interest!) for members to browse. Membership payments will help us achieve these goals.
Another immediate benefit of membership is that you will pay a reduced rate for sessions and session passes, which are much cheaper for members than for guests. Members will also receive reduced rates on some special courses and events.
The price of membership is £20 per year, running from the 1st of September until the 31st of August annually. If you join in January or later, this is reduced to £15 for membership until the 31st of August. If you have paid membership this year in another AHA-affiliated club, then your membership at The Vanguard Centre is reduced to just £5.
We request that if you have been attending activities in our Centre for three or four weeks, you join as a member.
When you submit this form, your message will be emailed to the Academy of Historical Arts administrative staff, who will respond as soon as possible. You will also receive an email copy of the message for your own records.
Once you complete and submit this form, you will be given the opportunity to pay for your membership with your credit or debit card through the safe and secure Worldpay service. Your membership will not become valid until we have received payment.
Membership Details Form
* required field.
Terms & Conditions, and Refunds Policy
Cancellations & Refunds
You may request to cancel your membership of The Vanguard Centre at any time. This request must be in writing, via some reasonably permanent medium: an email to the organisation would be acceptable, but a Facebook message is not suitable. We will cancel your membership within a week of receiving your request in writing.
When you cancel your membership, you will no longer be a Member, and you will instead be a guest whenever you attend one of our activities, sessions, or events. You will not receive the discounts for Members anymore, and will pay the same rates and attendance fees as a guest.
If you cancel your membership within two weeks (fourteen days) of paying for it, we will provide you a full refund, unless you have used your membership to receive a discounted attendance fee at a session or event (or to sign up for Premium Membership or for the Blacksmith Club), in which case we will be unable to provide a refund. In other words, we can only refund a membership that has been unused.
The Academy of Historical Arts may be referred to hereafter as "the Academy" or "the AHA".
The "term of subscription" is from the moment the subscription becomes valid until the end of August. So a subscription that becomes valid in September 2016 will expire on the 31st of August 2017; a subscription that becomes valid in May 2016 will also expire on the 31st of August 2017.
We will keep your personal information to ourselves and will not distribute it to any third party. The data will be treated confidentially in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
We shall use an accredited third-party service to collect the payment, so that the service is PCI compliant and the payment will be taken securely. We will not see your card or bank details unless you choose to show them to us. Your data will be kept safe, secure, and private.
All Members of The Vanguard Centre must agree to the following terms: in consideration of obtaining membership to The Vanguard Centre and practising/performing any skills learned through the experience with programmes, courses, classes, related events and activities run by the organisation, all applicants must agree to the following:
1) I acknowledge and fully recognise that each participant will be engaging in activities that involve risk of injury, including permanent disability and death, or severe social and economic losses which might result not only from their own actions, inactions or negligence but the actions, inactions or negligence of others, the rules of play, or the condition of the premises or of any equipment used. Further, that there may be other risks not known to us or not reasonably foreseeable at this time.
2) I assume all the foregoing risks and accept personal responsibility for the damages following such injury, permanent disability or death.
3) I release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, their respective administrators, directors, agents, instructors, and other members of the organisation, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, as well as Triquetra Services (Scotland) and all those associated with the above as regards to any and all incidents coming from participation in these activities.
4) I understand that the AHA, event producers, sponsors, organiser, and/or assigns may take my photograph. I agree that my photograph, including video photography, film photography, or other reproduction of my likeness, may be used without charge by the AHA, event producers, sponsors, organisers and/or assigns for any purpose as they deem appropriate, including, but not limited to, promotional materials, fundraising presentations or proposals, newspaper or magazine publication or posting on a website for promotional purposes.
5) I understand that the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and their representatives may ask for a copy of any media that I take or record during an event or meeting run by the organisation; I agree to provide the organisation with such media when requested. I also grant permission to the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and Triquetra Services (Scotland), to use this media freely. Similarly, I agree that the Academy of Historical Arts, The Vanguard Centre, and Triquetra Services (Scotland), may use for any purpose any media in which I appear.