Benjamin Hawkins started his study of HEMA in 2010 with the AHA in Glasgow. Since then he has been exposed to a wide variety of HEMA discipline including Scottish broadsword, bayonet, peasant staff, dagger, sword and targe, quarter-staff, Bowie knife and longsword.
He has taken Scottish regimental broadsword and ensuring proper cutting mechanics as his main focus of study.
Benjamin has taught lessons on Scottish broadsword and proper cutting mechanics at both AHA Loch Lomond and HEMAC Glasgow 2012.
HEMA Disciplines Studied
- 14th/15th century German longsword (for duelling)
(main sources: Codex Hs.3227a, Codex 44.A.8, Talhoffer and Ringeck)
- 17th/18th century Scottish regimental broadsword
(main sources: Angelo, Roworth/Taylor, Sinclair)
HEMA Tournament and Competitive Experience
- placed 2nd in the cutting tournament at the Iron Gate Exhibition (2013)
- placed 2nd in the cutting tournament at the Boston Sword Gathering (2012)
- placed 2nd in the cutting tournament at Longpoint (2012)
Qualifications and Achievements
- received membership of the AHA Corps of Instructors (2012)